Gynostemma is an herb that is mainly found in the different valley and mountainous areas of China and some other Asian countries. It is highly used in Southern China for its medicinal benefits and good taste. Below are different ways suggested by experts on how you can intake Gynostemma and enjoy its benefits:
- Gynostemma leaves can be mixed with vegetables and consumed in the form of a salad. This way you prevent cooking of the leaves, which helps in preserving all the nutritional value. The taste of Gynostemma leaves is also good and adds on to the taste of the salad.
- Gynostemma leaves can be used in cooking food. One can prepare Gynostemma leaves curry or any dish. It is considered extremely tasty, loaded with health benefits and is liked by all. This is a staple dish of people in Southern China.
- You can extract juice from the Gynostemma leaves and consume it. You just need to put the leaves and water in a mixer and churn it. You can add water according to the density of the juice you like to drink. Ideally, with 30-40 leaves of Gynostemma plant, half glass of water is added. Gynostemma has a naturally sweet taste, so there is no need to add any sugar to it. You can add a pinch of salt in the juice to make it tastier.
- You can store Gynostemma leaves in powdered form at home and add it in whichever dish you are making as an herb to add a nice flavor and enjoy the nutritional value.
- If you are diabetic and have cravings to have sweets, then Gynostemma is very suitable for you. You can add powdered Gynostemma leaves in cake, muffin, cookie or the ice cream you are preparing to enhance the flavor and health value. Due to its sweet nature, you would not feel the need to add any additional sugar to it. This way the desert will not be harmful to a diabetic patient and at the same time give health benefits.
- Gynostemma leaves can be consumed in the form of tea prepared by the infusion method. In this method, you pour boiling water on Gynostemma leaves in a teapot. This adds a delicate taste to the tea. Leave it to brew for 10 – 15 minutes. If you want a sweeter taste then brew it for a longer time.
- Tea can be prepared by Gynostemma leaves by decoction method. In this method, the leaves are boiled along with water. The more you will boil, the more flavor of the leaves would enter the tea.
- You can prepare iced tea with Gynostemma leaves. You can use either infusion or decoction method to prepare the tea and then add ice cubes to it to enjoy in the summer season.
- You can prepare tea using Gynostemma leaves by brewing it directly under the sunlight. For this, you will have to put one teaspoon dried leaves per cup in a glass jar and leave for 1-2 hours. This is the most natural way of brewing the tea.
- You can soak Gynostemma leaves in Vodka or organic apple cider for a month. When bubbles start to appear in the jar, squeeze out the leaves and throw them away. Have 2-3 teaspoons of Vodka or Vinegar every day and enjoy great health benefits.
Everyone has different taste buds. So, you can choose from the above-given ways of how you want to consume Gynostemma. Due to the long list of benefits that Gynostemma has, you should definitely try to incorporate it into your diet in whichever way you like.